2015 Renovation Frequently Asked Questions
How long will CMA be closed?
What will be included in the expansion?
- As the Museum’s signature new central exhibit, “Gateway to the World” will raise visitors’ experiences literally to the moon. Designed as a two-story climbing structure, this exhibit will invite children to climb through the layers of the earth and enter a one-of-a-kind, child-powered, rotating globe! Six interactive continent-shaped tables will surround the base of the structure engaging children in a variety of hands-on activities to discover geography, geology, astronomy, physics, aerodynamics and more.
- “Step Up To Science” will be located on the new mezzanine level to bring science, technology, engineering and math to life! Visitors can conduct real science experiments and watch cool demonstrations at a permanent science bar and more.
Revitalized Learning Zones:
- All of the current learning zones will be enhanced with new components and state-of-the art technology. Once renovated, the Museum will feature many beloved favorites, alongside new surprises.
- “Tools for Solutions” explores the science of building through four learning environments, teaching visitors that even the most complex problems can be solved step-by-step with a solid strategy and through the use of tools. Children hone early and more complex math skills, as they learn the importance of processes and sequencing. This multi-layered zone will reach all ages by incorporating building workshops in a new lab into the Museum’s regular programming, featuring a new construction house to teach what is “behind the walls” and offering additional opportunities for designing and building.
- “Fundamentally Food” will strengthen visitors’ understanding of how food functions as an integral part of daily life. Educational programming and role-play opportunities on the farm, in the grocery store and in the new “Village Diner” area will promote an understanding about the path of food from farm-to-table, introduce food as a significant aspect of all cultures, address the importance of food as it relates to health and well-being and more.
- “Let Your Creativity Flow” will encourage children to experiment with music and explore the visual arts in a flexible, small group setting. Lessons incorporating various media and the use of musical instruments will encourage each young visitor to find and hone their creative genius. Additionally, this will house the new “Maker Space,” which will provide a place to empower young children to harness their own ideas to build inventions and artistic creations. This program will feature extensive opportunities for partnership with schools and child development centers.
- “Leaping into Learning” will continue to provide the Museum’s youngest visitors with many opportunities for self-discovery and development of self-confidence. This learning zone will engage visitors through tactile experiences and fun ways for pre-walkers to explore the world around them.
What will the new Children’s Museum of Atlanta look like?
How can I keep up to date on progress?
What do I do about my membership?
What additional benefits will I receive now that the Museum is closed for renovations?
- Bonus months! Because the Museum will be closed this fall, all memberships expiring on or after August 31, 2015 will be placed on hold during the renovation and resume upon reopening. A bonus 2 months will be added onto memberships. (ex: an October, 2015 expiration will now expire in April 2016).
- Members will receive discount admissions to The Atlanta Botanical Gardens, Zoo Atlanta, Fernbank Museum of Natural History, The Georgia Aquarium, Center for Puppetry Arts, Atlanta History Center and more. Watch for more details.
- Membership Days in the Community. This fall, our Imaginators and Visitor Services Team will take some of our favorite programs out into the community. Look for us at libraries, bookstores, festivals, and community centers. We will even hold special Members Only days at select locations. Follow us on social media and learn more about the Museum on the Move!
- Sneak Previews! Be the first to see the NEW Children’s Museum of Atlanta! Members will receive exclusive sneak peeks before the Museum opens to the general public. Sneak Preview dates and times will be announced in the fall.
Can I become a member during closure?
Will general admission and membership prices increase once the Museum reopens?
More question about your Membership?
I only recently purchased my membership. Why didn’t anyone tell me the museum would be closed?
Will you have any member parking?
Will there be more member events?
Will the Museum still be available for On-the-Go and other community programs?
Where can I find CMA during closure?
Will you offer parking?
Will you have food on site?
What’s the new age range?
Will the Museum hours change?
Will the Museum continue to do Target Free Second Tuesday?
Will ticket prices change?
Will you offer more classes?
Will you still offer birthday parties?
How can I volunteer/apply for a position with the Museum for reopen?
How can I contribute to the capital campaign?