Sultry: When we talk about sultry weather, we’re talking about hot and humid weather. We have weather like this in Georgia all the time!
Downy: Covered in soft feathers.
Clamber: To climb into or out of something with some awkwardness and difficulty. The little birds and Stellaluna clambered in and out of the nest.
Murmur: A soft, quiet sound, like if you hear the wind moving through the trees or a group of people whispering in a different room.
Nocturnal: Nocturnal animals are awake at night and asleep during the day. Bats and opossums are nocturnal animals.
Diurnal: Diurnal animals – like the birds in the book – are awake during the day and asleep at night. We are also diurnal!
- What are some ways that bats and birds are different? What are some ways that they are the same? Think about what they eat, how they fly, and how they hang on to branches.
- How did Stellaluna get separated from her mom at the beginning of the story? How do you think she felt then?
- Do you think it was right for the mother bird to tell Stellaluna to act like a bird instead of a bat? Why or why not?
- Who does Stellaluna find when she meets all the bats? How do you think she felt then?
- How did Stellaluna save her three friends at the end of the story?